Policies and Procedures

The UNC Asheville OneCard is the official ID and on-campus debit card for The University of North Carolina at Asheville. The UNC Asheville OneCard is property of the University and should be carried with the cardholder at all times. It is not transferable. Altering or lending this card will subject the cardholder to disciplinary action. Only the person pictured on the ID card will be allowed to use the card.

The UNC Asheville OneCard is a multipurpose card, serving as the official ID card and as an on-campus debit card. All UNC Asheville students, faculty, adjunct, staff and extended temporary employees are required to have the OneCard with them while they are on campus. If the card will be used for identification only, there is no requirement to deposit funds in the OneCard account.

Use of the UNC Asheville OneCard includes, but is not limited to, the following:  

Campus Bookstore, Career Center, Cashier’s Office, copiers and The Copy Center, drama tickets, dining services, health services, Highsmith Union food court, laundry facilities, Ramsey Library, parking fines, Argo Cafe, recreational activities, student life activities, and snack and vending machines.

These terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.

Deposits & Refunds


Deposits into the UNC Asheville OneCard Account can be made in the OneCard office. No minimum deposit is required. Deposited funds are available immediately. Deposits made in the OneCard office may be made by cash, check, or money order. A fee of $25 is charged for all returned checks. The account will be deactivated if there is a returned check and no funds are in the account to cover that returned check.

After all university fees have been paid in full, students may go to the cashier's office to get a check for the remaining balance left on their financial aid, scholarship or loan. After depositing this into their checking account, they may go to the OneCard office to make a deposit.


Account balances will carry over to subsequent semesters. A student cardholder may apply, in person or in writing, for a refund at the end of the semester in which the student graduates, or at any other time during the semester if the student officially withdraws from enrollment at UNC Asheville. If a student is making a request at any time other than the end of an academic year, he or she may be required to produce documentation of his or her graduation or official withdrawal. This request for a refund must be made at the UNC Asheville OneCard office during its regular business hours of Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. (excluding University Holidays). No refunds will be issued for account balances less than $5. It is recommended the cardholder spends that $5 before leaving the campus. Refunds will be paid by check and processed within approximately six weeks of notification.

An employee may apply for a refund at any time during his or her employment.

Employee OneCards

Faculty, Adjunct and Staff

The OneCard gives faculty, adjunct and staff a method of payment for services campus wide, as it does for students. It serves as a campus debit card. Deposits may be made in the OneCard office. Faculty, adjunct and staff are not required to place funds on their OneCard. All replacement cards cost $25. Upon termination of employment at UNC Asheville, faculty, adjunct and staff are required to return their OneCard IDs to the OneCard office.

Extended Temporary Employees

All UNC Asheville extended temporary employees must obtain a OneCard for ID purposes. Funds cannot be put on these cards without the OneCard manager's approval. Extended temporary employees are those employees who work 20 to 40 hours a week for at least 6 weeks. The supervisors of these temporary employees must file a new temporary wage authorization form and have it on file in Human Resources. In order to obtain IDs, extended temporary employees must bring a Request for ID form from HR in PH228.

Upon termination of employment, extended temporary employees are required to return their OneCard IDs to the OneCard office. If employment is resumed within six months and the card is on file, the card will be reactivated at no cost. If card is not on file, a cost of $25 is charged for reactivation.

Other UNC Asheville privileges for extended temporary employees include the use of Ramsey library; they may obtain a recreation pass for $10; and upon supervisor’s request, they may be issued a UNC Asheville email account.

All replacement cards cost $25.

Short-term and Intermittent Temporary Employees

OneCard IDs are not issued to temporary employees who work less than six weeks or who work intermittently at UNC Asheville unless approved by Human Resources.

OneCard Copy Cards

UNC Asheville Departments

UNC Asheville departments may obtain OneCard Copy Cards. Send an email to onecard@unca.edu containing the department's name, account number, and name(s) that will be printed on the Copy Card.

Group Copy Cards

Copy Cards for any non-campus group are $5 per card. The UNC Asheville director in charge of the conference must send an email to onecard@unca.edu or call 828.251.6767 containing the Summer Conference name, account number and name(s) that are to be printed on each Copy Card.

Visitor Copy Cards

Visitor Copy Cards may be purchased in the ADM located in Ramsey Library for $1. Funds may be deposited on this card through the ADM. These copy cards expire yearly, on July 10th. The funds remaining on the card after the expiration date are non refundable.

The UNC Asheville OneCard office is located at 120 Highsmith University Union. The telephone number is 828.251.6767. After hours, any OneCard problems should be directed to the Campus Police office located in Vance Hall. The telephone number is 828.251.6710.